League of Women Voters® of the La Grange Area will host the event “Supreme Court Decisions Presentation”
The League of Women Voters of the La Grange Area (LWVLGA) will host the event “Supreme Court Decisions Presentation” on August 13, 2019.
The event will include a brief discussion of some of the high priority cases of the last term, ending in June 2018:
- A discussion of the three gerrymandering cases that were decided together:
- Benisek v. Lamone
- Common Cause v. Rucho
- Bethune-Hill v. Virginia State Board of Elections
- The Department of Commerce v. New York: a discussion of the citizenship question on the upcoming census
- Gundy v. U.S.; a case about the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act that has implications for the doctrine of separation of powers and the U.S. Constitution
- Coming attractions:
- What cases to expect during the next term.
- DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)
LWVLGA will be taking questions from the audience and encourages anyone interested to join us for this event.
The event will be held on Tuesday, August 13, 2019, at 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at:
La Grange Park Public Library
555 North La Grange Road
La Grange Park, Illinois 60526
# # #
About LWV Lagrange Area
The League of Women Voters® is a political organization that neither supports nor opposes candidates or parties and encourages informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy. The League of Women Voters® of the La Grange Area serves the people of Brookfield, Burr Ridge, Countryside, Indian Head Park, Hinsdale, Hodgkins, La Grange, La Grange Highlands, La Grange Park, Riverside, Western Springs and Westchester.