Welcome! To REGISTER
Thank you for choosing The Village of Brookfield Parks and Recreation Department’s before & after school program for your beyond-school hour needs. We have developed our programs to include a large variety of activities over the course of the year that will keep your child entertained, engaged, and active in a safe and supervised setting. We are excited and ready to meet the needs of you and your family. This program is administered by the Parks and Recreation Department; however, we work cooperatively with District 103 to provide care on site in each of their elementary schools (Home, Costello, Lincoln, Robinson, Edison) as well as work cooperatively with District 95 in the use of their transportation system to provide bussing for Brook-Park students to the Village Recreation Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
Mission & Philosophy of S.T.A.R.S.
The Village of Brookfield has developed the S.T.A.R.S. (Students Together in an Active Recreation Setting) program to meet the before & after school childcare needs of the community. We aim to provide a safe, healthy environment for children K-5th grade.
We value our community and surrounding communities, and it is the mission of the program to work cooperatively with the school district to ensure safe, quality care of children beyond school hours that will uphold our program goals and objectives while keeping the mission of the school district at our forefront through activities that promote and support self-assured, life-long learners.
The Village of Brookfield’s Before & After School program is designed to keep the participants active, engaged, entertained, and socially involved through a variety of activities within a safe and supervised setting. We have an inclusive environment and treat all participants and fellow staff members as individuals with respect, care, and sincerity. Your child has ensured the best care from our trained, qualified instructors taking place right in the comfort of their hometown. All our carefully planned activities are implemented with the following goals in mind:
- Build on our program character traits of being: Respectful, Responsible, Peaceful, and to act with Integrity.
- Encourage children to be social and boost their self-confidence within group settings.
- Promote teamwork, sportsmanship, and respect with fellow participants and instructors.
- Provide a positive, sound environment in which children can learn and play.
- Develop skills and knowledge through a variety of activities, but not limited to: sports, art, crafts, nature, games, academics, and fitness.
- Reinforce student work ethic and responsibility through providing quiet homework time daily and answering any questions to the best of our ability
- Main Office: 708-485-1474
Programs and Fees
Before School D95 (6:30 am-8 am) | D103 (6:30am-8:30am)
- $72/month (3-day FLEX) *Flex means YOU CHOOSE the days
- $116/month (5 days)
After School (3 pm – 6 pm)
- $144/month (3-day FLEX)
- $232/month (5 days)
Combo Before and After (available for 5day attendance only)
Currents fees come out to about $4 per hour for Before/After School.
Fees are based on the total hours of the entire school year. A $125 registration fee is due at the time of registration Full month tuition is due for any days attended of the month.
Changes to your registration must be submitted to the Recreation Supervisor 2 weeks before your registration change.
Forms & Manuals
For registration, our office requires the below forms to be filled out, signed, and returned to the Recreation Supervisor, Cyelich@brookfieldil.gov
- NEW! We use a paperless EPACT system for your Emergency Information (authorization to pick up, medical information, household information, emergency contacts, waiver and authorizations).
- STEP ONE: REGISTER for your school option and enrollment selection (Before Care/After Care/5day, 3day, 2day).
- STEP TWO: You will receive an EMAIL with LINK from Epact to set up your account and complete the Emergency Information.
- *If you have completed a household form for CAMP and set up your household already you will still need to update (if needed) and answer the questions specific to STARS.
- Medication Authorization & Release Form – only required for those who will need to take medication while on-site at STARS.
Please review this entire manual. This addresses everything from our philosophy to payment policies to program structure and health/safety measures. Part of your emergency form is acknowledging you have read and understood all policies included.
The S.T.A.R.S. program closely follows your child’s school calendars. There is no STARS on days of school or early release but we do have Days off School Camp which is a separate registration:
- Brookfield-LaGrange Park SD 95’s school calendar for Brook Park students.
- Lyons School School District 103 school calendar for Lincoln, Costello, Home, Edison, Robinson.
District 95: Brookfield Village Hall – 8820 Brookfield Ave. Brookfield, IL 60513
District 103: On site at your respective school
Interesting Articles & Resources for Families
We hope to provide as many resources as possible for parents to help make the most of their child’s experience in STARS Before & After School! Our staff will periodically update this listing of interesting videos and articles revolving around after-school programs, education, and childhood. If you have an article you think is really interesting, feel free to email it to Cindy at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Serious Business of Play (May 2020) American Psychological Association
- Ten Things Every Parent Should Know About Play (n.d.) Laurel Bongiorno
- The Circle of Courage & Positive Psychology (October 2006) Brendtro, Brokenleg & Van Bockern
- Peter Gray – Freedom to Learn (September 2015) YouTube video