Brookfield Police Department
- 8820 Brookfield Avenue
Brookfield IL 60513
- Non-Emergency Phone: 708-485-8131
- Fax: 708-485-2106
The Police Department is located on the east side of the Village Hall and is staffed 24 hours a day.
Mission Statement, Core Values, and Loyalty Oath
Use of Force Policy (with Duty to Intervene)
Chief of Police Michael Kuruvilla
Chief Michael Kuruvilla was presented with the “40 Under 40” Award through the International Association of Chiefs of Police in 2020.
The Brookfield Police Department has 30 sworn police officers, 5 auxiliary officers, 8 civilian employees, and 18 crossing guards. We provide security for all village events as well as serve and protect the citizens of the community. We were one of the first towns in the Midwest region to implement the 911 emergency systems. We are proud of our community and do our best to make this a safe town to live and raise a family.
Online Reporting System
*If this is an Emergency or you are requesting police services, please call 911*
This system is NOT monitored 24 hours a day / 7 days a week
Please confirm the following to find out if online citizen police report filing is right:
- This is not an Emergency
- You are not requesting a Police Officer to respond at this time
- This incident occurred within the Village of Brookfield
- There is not any suspect information available concerning this incident.
- This incident does not involve evidence that needs to be collected by a Police Officer.
- You are aware that filing a false police report is a crime (720 ILCS 5/26-1(a)(4)).
Please direct reporting of this type to our online reporting page for us to respond
- All cases filed using the Brookfield Online Reporting System will be reviewed.
- Upon review, if further investigation or additional information is needed, a Brookfield Police Officer will contact you.
- Please allow five (5) business days for your report to be processed through our records management system. At which time, a police report number will be generated and emailed back to you for your records.
If you need to report any other type of incident not listed or have any questions, please contact the Brookfield Police Department at (708) 485-8131.
Citizen’s Police Academy in Brookfield
The Citizen’s Police Academy is open to all citizens and business owners in the Village of Brookfield, 18 years of age or older. Applicants should be in good health; however, no physical activity is required.
When a CPA session is in progress (next class begins Thursday, March 23rd, 2023!), we will usually meet every Thursday night for ten (10) weeks. Classes typically will run from 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. at the Police Department, 8820 Brookfield Avenue. Completion of the CPA does not grant individuals police powers but will provide an informative overview of the fundamentals of police operations.
The goals of the Citizen’s Police Academy are:
- Bring a greater understanding of the role of a police officer
- Develop a trusting partnership with the community
- Expand the knowledge of laws and police procedures
- Enhance involvement with the community and police department
Some of the topics that will be covered in class are:
- Traffic Stops / DUI Enforcement
- Criminal Law and Patrol Techniques
- Auto Theft
- Internet Crimes
Anyone interested in participating in the CPA can obtain an application at the police department during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.) or download the application linked below, which can be returned to the police department in-person or via email at: email@example.com. There is no cost for participation. A routine background check will be conducted on all applicants. Additionally, a waiver of liability must be signed by each participant. If you would like more information on this program, please contact Deputy Chief Terry Schreiber (708-387-1927) at the Brookfield Police Department. Space in the Citizen’s Police Academy is limited, and participation will be at the discretion of the Brookfield Police Department.
Fill out the application above and sign up today!!! Our next CPA Class will begin Thursday, March 23rd, 2023, and run through Thursday, May 18th, 2023!
- 2016 Brookfield Police Department Annual Report
- 2012 Brookfield Police Department Annual Report
- 2011 Brookfield Police Department Annual Report
- 2010 Brookfield Police Department Annual Report
- 2009 Brookfield Police Department Annual Report
Reminder from the Chief
This is a notice to the residents of Brookfield that any solicitations from The Brookfield Police Department will only be conducted with approval from the Chief of Police.