Village of Brookfield Social Media Site Policy
PurposeThe Village of Brookfield recognizes that social media services, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, provide a pathway for delivering information to residents, visitors, and community partners about activities, programs, goals and initiatives, news, and other information and material intended to increase public awareness, social capital, and civic engagement. The purpose of the Village of Brookfield Social Media Site Policy is to outline the terms and use, prohibited content, and disclaimers as they apply to all Village social media accounts that serve as a communication tool between the Village and the public. Administrative and Information Technology personnel, and their designees, are the administrators of the Village’s social media accounts, including the social media accounts of individual Village Departments.
- Users should be aware that Village staff does not monitor activity on social media accounts 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Consequently, Village social media accounts are not intended for conducting official business and cannot accommodate a user’s attempt to report concerns or make official inquiries. Users needing assistance with questions or concerns shall contact the proper Village office or department directly during normal business hours and not via social media. These calls for action and inquiries may include, but are not limited to, reporting a crime, requesting emergency and non-emergency police and/or fire response, reporting public utility or infrastructure emergencies (downed power lines, power outages, road hazards, gas leaks, flooding, etc.), reporting code enforcement violations, and requesting information pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”).
- Posts made by Village staff may be generated in advance and scheduled for release on certain days/times, automatically. New postings do not always indicate an administrator is active on the site.
- In case of an emergency or potentially dangerous situation, users should dial 911.
- To report a crime or suspicious activity, users should dial 911 or call the non-emergency Village Police Department telephone number (708) 485-8131.
- To report a non-emergency concern regarding code enforcement, new construction, street, sidewalk, or water-related issues, users should call the Village’s main number (708) 485-7344.
- All postings and comments made on Village of Brookfield social media sites are voluntary and made at the user’s own risk.
- Comments posted by the public on Village social media sites do not reflect the opinion(s) of the Village. The Village does not endorse or oppose, by its actions or inactions related to restriction, removal or deletion of submissions/postings, the comments/content submitted/posted by others. Social Media users alone are responsible for their comments, usernames, and/or any information or content they place or attempt to place on Village sites
- Abusive, profane, threatening, defamatory, slanderous, libelous, hateful, harassing or stalking, racist, sexist, homophobic, vulgar, obscene, violent, pornographic or sexual and/or criminal or unlawful language or content;
- Content not topically related to a particular posting generated by Village staff;
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, marital status, familial status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, source of income, or other protected status under applicable law;
- Content that constitutes or includes solicitation of commerce, commercial activities and fundraising or sponsorship, including, but not limited to “spam” and other commercial content submitted/posted by individuals, groups, entities, or automatic software programs;
- Comments that constitutes, conducts, solicits, promotes, encourages or incites criminal or illegal activity or comments that otherwise incite imminent lawless action;
- Content that constitutes or includes an inappropriate and/or unauthorized disclosure of personal data or private/personal information about any individual, including, but not limited to, address, phone number, social security number and other sensitive information;
- Content that may tend to compromise the safety and security of the public or public systems;
- Content that constitutes or includes copyrighted or trademarked material and/or content that violates the legal ownership interest of another party, submitted or posted without proper authorization or consent;
- Posting of photographs, videos, audio recordings and/or similar media or links to other pages or websites is strictly prohibited, except when posted and/or approved by Village staff. If a user has photos, videos, audio recordings and/or similar media that the user wants to share with the Village or thinks a Village department would like to share on its social media sites, please contact the office of the Assistant Village Manager at (708) 485-7344.
“Friending,” “liking,” and/or similar exchanges/actions between individual Village officers or employees and a social media site user does not indicate Village endorsement of that user’s actions or comments.
Postings on the Village’s main social media site, or individual Village departments’ social media sites, may reference copies of public records of the Village. The original public records may be subject to disclosure under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Village postings that are secondary in nature are generally not public records and not subject to FOIA; however, “unique” information contained in social media postings by the Village may be subject to FOIA. Public comments or posts on the Village’s social media sites are not by default considered to be public records. The Village follows state guidelines and requirements for FOIA and the retention of local government records.