The Village on occasion receives complaints about rats in the community. While the Village does NOT have a formal “rat program,” it can offer a few tips for homeowners to prevent the problem from arising in their neighborhoods:
- Make sure to properly dispose garbage and secure garbage can lids;
- Don’t let standing water accumulate (e.g., in a bucket);
- Pick up pet waste promptly;
- Store firewood per code; and
- Cut grass and trim weeds.
On the last two points, while not having a rat program, the Village has a formal property maintenance program. Cutting grass and trimming weeds not only gets you in compliance with the property maintenance code, it also makes your yard less friendly as a rat habitat.