Brookfield Quick Links

When do I get my utility bill?

Utility bills are issued every three months. Items on the bill include water, sewer, and garbage fees.

How is my water bill determined?

Useage for your water bill is generated by the readings on your meter. For a single family home, the first 748 gallons (and for each additional 748 gallons) the charge shall be $6.96. The minimum charge for water service in this class shall be $69.60 per quarter. (Ordinance 2014-07)

How is my sewer bill determined?

Your Sewer Bill is 27.1% of your water charges with a minimum of $18.87 per quarter.

How is my garbage bill determined?

Your Garbage bill is based on the annual fee charged to the Village by Groot per the garbage contract.

When can I fill my pool and water my lawn?

Village ordinance regulates lawn watering between May 15 and September 15. Lawn watering, the filling of swimming pools, and watering of new sod is not allowed between the hours of noon and 6 p.m. daily. The watering of lawns is permitted daily during the remaining hours. There are no restrictions for gardens, shrubs or car washing.

What do I do with leaves and other yard waste?

Residents are requested to take advantage of the no-tag yardwaste program for one and two family dwellings. Just as for vines, brush and grass clippings, leaves can be placed either in paper bags or in properly marked yardwaste containers and will be picked up by refuse hauler during garbage collection days.

Do I have to license my pet?

YES. For a mere $3 investment and proof of a current rabies shot, you can help protect your pets if they are lost. The Police Department can help locate a pet owner by using the Village's animal tag number. Renewal forms for pet licenses are mailed in early December.

Do I have to license my business?

YES. The Cashier's Office can provide the required business license application form. Only licensed businesses are listed on our website. Existing businesses need to renew their license yearly before the December 31.

What are the rules for garage sales?

You must have a garage sale permit. You'll need a $2 permit from the Village, and the sale must be held between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. You can have two permits per year.

Can I sign-up for classes or trips online?

Yes! You may sign-up for a class or outing by using the online registration form.

When will my trash be picked up?

Click on the Garbage Collection Map to find your scheduled trash collection day in relation to where you live in Brookfield.

Download the Garbage Collection Map

Where can I find the brochure that was mailed to everyone back in July?

You may visit Village Hall and pick up another copy of the brochure or use the links below to download both sides of the brochure in a PDF document. If you don't have the Acrobat Reader 6.0 on your computer, visit www.adobe.com to download the latest version in order to view these documents.

What is the weight limit on the new 65-gallon container?

The new 65-gallon container has a weight limit of 200 lbs. This is an increase from the 70 lbs. limit using the 32-gallon containers. Each truck is designed with a lift that picks up the new containers and therefore able to handle more garbage at one time.

Can I throw out bulk items such as refrigerators and mattresses?

Residents are allowed to discard one large item per week such as a refrigerator, stove, chair, etc., at no extra charge. Remember to remove the door from refrigerators and ovens so children will not get locked in. Just be sure to call Groot and let them know that you are putting out this item or it will not be picked up.

Does this include construction or remodeling materials, tree stumps, and large auto parts?

No! They require a special pickup and extra fee.

How much recycling can I set out for pickup?

There is no limit to the number of filled recycling cans you can place out with your weekly garbage as long as you follow a few simple rules.

Where can I find the brochure that was mailed to everyone back in July?

Co-mingled materials must be placed in the 20-gallon black containers. Every household received one 20-gallon container at no cost either when the program began back in 1994 or when you moved in.
You can put out as many of these containers as you like. You can get more co-mingled materials in a container by crushing them, and placing paper products in a paper bag and placing the bag next to the container.
Each container must have a recycling sticker which identifies the container's contents for proper sorting. Your recycling truck driver is looking for short black cans with a familiar recycling sticker - that's how he knows to stop and pick up your recycled material. Recycling stickers are available at the Village Hall at no cost.
Consistent use of this system throughout Brookfield ensures more efficient service from Groot.
Residents may now mix all recyclable materials in Village Recycling Containers.
Recycling containers must be left for the new homeowner in the event you should move.

What are co-mingled materials?

Tin and Steel Clean food cans and their lids; remove labels. Paint cans must be open with only a thin dry layer of paint inside. Paint can lids are also acceptable (removed from can).
Aerosol Cans. Must be empty with no lids; remove plastic spray piece.
Aluminum. Clean cans, aluminum foil and food trays.
Glass Bottles and Jars. Remove caps. Rinse. No window glass, drinking glasses, Pyrex or ceramic items.
Plastics. Clean containers marked with codes #1, #2, and #4, 6 and 12-pack rings and Tyvek products. Recycle #2 and #4 grocery bags at participating stores

Does Brookfield recycle?

Brookfield recycles paper products in bags or bundles (newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, white paper, telephone books, tissue and wrapping paper, brown paper bags, and chipboard including cereal boxes, paper egg cartons, pasta boxes, etc. We also recycle corrugated cardboard if flattened and placed next to the recycling container. We also pick up Co-mingled materials which can be mixed together in one container.

Download the Garbage Collection Map

Click the link below to view a copy of the Garbage Collection Map online. You may also use the link below to download another version of this map onto your computer. Please note the different file sizes and formats this map is saved in.

Download the Garbage Collection Map

What do I do about dead branches and trees between the sidewalk and street?

Don't touch them! That land, called the "parkway" is owned and managed by the Village. Trees are a precious asset to Brookfield and they are protected by a very strict enforcement code. Simply stated, this means that any kind of action -- beneficial or otherwise -- without first contacting the Village, is strictly prohibited. Late Winter and early Spring are busy times for the Forestry Division. It is the best time to prune dead branches, trim away wild growth, remove dead trees, and plant new ones. ItÕs also a good time for you to report to the Forestry Division problems with existing trees on municipal property. If you have any questions about a tree in your parkway, or need to report a dangerous situation regarding a tree please call us at 708-485-7344, ext. 403.

Can I plant a tree in front of my house?

The Forestry Division runs a Shared Cost Tree Planting Program each spring. Trees will be 2 inches in diameter and 6-10 feet tall. Interested residents should call the Public Works Department to have their property checked for available space and to be notified of the varieties of trees and planting costs. No private planting of trees or shrubs in parkway areas is allowed without a permit. The Village works to maintain an appropriate variety of species, proper distance between trees and ensures that trees are not planted too close to wires or sewer lines. This is a very popular program, so area residents are urged to call early. To get on a planting list simply call the Forestry Division at 485-7344, ext. 403 or 404. Requests are taken from February 1, until the program is filled.

Is it true that you give away free mulch and fireplace logs?

Often when we trim trees we have logs large enough for fireplace use. Tree trimming and removal also creates a valuable source of woodchip mulch. As the fibers break down, the chips create a healthy compost that adds vital nutrients to the soil. This is excellent for area gardens or around tree bases. Best of all, the woodchip mulch is free of charge. Just drive to the north end of the parking lot behind the Village Hall and take what you need. By utilizing this resource, residents save money, recycle nutrients back into the earth and save the village the cost of having to dump the chips and logs at a landfill.

How do I get my sidewalk replaced?

Costs are shared and depend upon the number of squares replaced. If you would like squares in front of your home, apartment, or business torn out and replaced, call the Department of Public Works at 708-485-7344 ext. 403. Make that call today because funds for this earmarked program are limited.

What do I need to know about purchasing vehicle tags?

As a new resident, you have 30 days in order to purchase your vehicle tags. Please bring proof of residency and proof of vehicle ownership to the Village Hall in order to get your tags.

I am a landlord. What do I need to tell my tenants?

Landlords are responsible for notifying their tenants of the need for vehicle tags. Unless tenants pay their own water bills, we have no way of knowing that they have moved into Brookfield and we are not able to inform them of the need for vehicle tags. The landlord is our link to the tenant!

Are there any discounts for senior citizens?

Yes, seniors 65 years of age or older at the time of purchase qualify for one reduced-rate vehicle tag. Seniors who qualify must alert us at the time of purchase and provide proof of age. Proof of age is a driver's license, birth certificate, or Medicare card. Refunds will not be issued if seniors overpay for their vehicle tag. Please refer to the fee schedule on the back of the renewal for additional information. Vehicle tags purchased after the deadline are subject to the same late fees as everyone else.

When do I renew my vehicle tag?

Vehicle tag forms are mailed on June 1st. Mark your calendar! Set your alarm clock Tie a string around your finger! Do whatever it takes to remind yourself that you must have a new vehicle tag on your car by June 30th! There is no grace period beyond June 30th. Avoid extra charges; buy your tags early!

Can I renew before June 1st?

No, you must wait for your form to arrive before renewing.

When I receive the renewal form, what do I do?

Please check each of your renewal forms for correctness or missing information and return all copies to us with your payment. Vehicle tags will not be issued if information is missing!

How can I renew my vehicle tags?

There are three ways:
By mail. This is the preferred method for renewing your vehicle tag(s). Simply send us your renewal forms with payment and, with in 1-2 days, we will mail you your new tags. On renewals received after June 30th, the postmark date is used to determine the fee.
In person. Please check your forms and have your check made out before getting in line to renew your tags. Please allow up to 30 minutes' waiting time during the busiest renewal times. In a hurry? Use the drop box in the Village Hall lobby, stickers will be mailed to you the next day!
Through the mail slot. After hours, please deposit your renewal forms and payment in the 24 hour white payment box in the Village Hall parking lot. Within 1-2 days, your new tags will be on their way to you.

What if I do not receive my renewal forms?

If you do not receive your renewal forms, please bring proof of residency and proof of vehicle ownership to the Village Hall. Failure to receive a renewal form does not exempt you from renewing their vehicle tags by the due date or from incurring penalties.

What if I get a different car?

If you get a different car after you have purchased your vehicle tag, please bring in the pieces of the original tag and the bill of sale on the new vehicle. There is a $10 transfer fee for the same class of vehicle. Without the pieces of the original tag, the cost is the same as for a new purchase.

What are the parking rules?

You must be aware of street cleaning and snow removal rules:
Snow Removal. Brookfield snow regulations are in effect from December 1 to March 31 of each year. After a snowfall of 2 inches or more, residents can check the signs on their block to see on what day and which side of the street on which they should park. To check if 2 inches or more of snow has fallen, dial the Brookfield snow line at 708-387-SNOW. Violators are subject to a $35 ticket per each occurrence.

Street Cleaning.

Street cleaning runs from April 1 to November 30. Residents can check the signs on their block to see on what day and which side of the street on which they should park. Violators are subject to a $35 ticket per each occurrence.

What is CodeRED?

The CodeRED system allows you to receive telephone notification of severe weather warnings, tornadoes, flash floods or other warnings issued by local authorities. It is free to homes, businesses and individuals.

Can I register my cell phone?

You can register any landline or cell phone with an address. However, a single phone number can only be registered to one address, while one address may have mulitple phones registered to it.

Can I get text messages as well?

Yes, when listed as a cellular phone, with carrier information. However, charges may apply to you according to your individual wireless plan. Ensure you check/uncheck the appropriate box in registration.

Does CodeRED work with TDD/TTY?

Yes, however, the phone must be appropriately marked as TDD/TTY during registration.

Am I automatically registered in the database for Weather Warnings?

No. The Weather Warning function of CodeRED is an "opt in" only service. You must visit click on the CodeRED logo on the right hand side of the page to enter your contact information and agree to the terms and conditions. Then select the type of weather warnings you would like to receive. If you are unsure if you are registered, you should just resubmit your information. Previously entered information for that phone number will be replaced with the new update.

I tried to register, but the browser didn't seem to work right.

CodeRED recommends that you register using Internet Explorer instead of other browsers for full functionality.

Why did CodeRED call me several times?

If there is no answer and you do not have an answering device, the number will be attempted up to 3 times.

It called me but no message played.

If you answer and do not say anything, CodeRED will not begin playing automatically. It is trying to determine if it has reached a live person or an answering device. If you do not say anything, it will hang up and retry the number in the next pass of the non connected numbers.

Why did it leave only part of the message on my answering machine?

CodeRED will leave a message on an answering device. There are many different brands and types of capturing devices for leaving a message. Occasionally something about the answering device or the beep of the device causes the system to think it has reached a live person and begins playing the message. When the message is left, it only leaves part of the message. You can call back at 866-419-5000 and receive the entire message.

What if I could not clearly hear the message the first time?

You can call CodeRED back for the most recent alert. Simply check your caller ID for the number. Otherwise, for the last Weather Warning, call 800-566-9780. If it was a CodeRED message issued by local authorities for some other reason, call 866-419-5000.

Why does my phone ring once and hang up? It has called me twice and won't let me answer it.

If you have a ring back tone, which plays a song instead of ringing, the system will interpret this as an Operator Intercept and hang up, only to retry the number. You have two options. You can remove the ring back tone or you can contact your cell phone provider and request that the phone numbers 866-419-5000 and 800-566-9780 for CodeRED be bypassed by this feature.

Can I register addresses outside of Cook County with your database?

No. For an address outside of Cook County, you must contact that county's emergency manager and inquire about details of any such system for that county.

How can the Village purchase electric power at a lower cost?

The State of Illinois has deregulated energy markets, allowing competing companies to offer electric power. Municipalities can leverage residents' electric accounts to seek competitive bids for lower electric rates.

Who do I contact if there is a power outage or downed lines?

Call ComEd. By State Law, ComEd will continue to be paid to deliver electric power to homes and businesses and handle all emergency repairs.

Why is this opportunity available?

This is the last part of the deregulation process. Until this Act was amended, only large industrial, commercial and governmental entities could seek competitive bids for lower rates, and three-quarters of them do. Now residents can, too.

How can the Village purchase electric power at a lower cost?

The State of Illinois has deregulated energy markets, allowing competing companies to offer electric power. Municipalities can leverage residents' electric accounts to seek competitive bids for lower electric rates.

What if I don't want to participate in the program?

Residents will have multiple opportunities to "Opt Out" of the program, which will be your right by law. You can continue to buy power through ComEd, although the rate will most likely be higher.

What happens if the Village cannot obtain bids for better rates than ComEd offers?

Your account would stay with ComEd, who would continue to be your power provider and the local distribution company. Either way, ComEd will remain your distributor. By voting YES on the referendum, ComEd will compete with power suppliers from throughout the Midwest to provide our power.

Why is the Village doing this?

The Village wants to help you buy your power at lower rates. As a governmental organization, we want to take advantage of the new law that was enacted to benefit our residents and small businesses. If a savings of $125 to $175/year can be achieved, you could use those monies for other purchases.

What if I don't want a governmental entity to choose my electric power?

A government agency (The Illinois Power Agency) has been setting the Energy rate for ComEd for several years already. Now, with deregulation you have more options and the choice to "Opt Out:"

Online Payments

Brookfield eNews! Sign-up

If you sign up for eNews! you will receive periodic emails about important events in the Village of Brookfield. We will not share or sell your email, you can unsubscribe at any time.